Developed for the secondary French students, this play is an excellent entry-level story as it contains lots of repetition, rhythm, rhyme and comedy. It's the story of a boy who continuously receives incorrect advice from his friends on how to play basketball and lots of slapstick humour results! This kit floods the students with language learning to rapidly increase their fluency, confidence and motivation!
Based on the Accelerative Integrated Method(AIM), “Salut, Mon Ami!” is the 1st kit in the “Jeunesse en action!”series for Secondary French students. The use of high-frequency vocabulary – introduced with gestures and contextualised in stories, drama, songs and dance – allows students to achieve high levels of oral and written fluency. This methodology enables most students to express themselves with ease at a basic level (capable of carrying on conversations and able to write a text of several pages) in less than 100 hours of instruction!
This program enables the students to:
- Express themselves orally in French from the first lesson, using high-frequency vocabulary
- Learn vocabulary in visual, auditory and kinaesthetic ways
- Participate in literature and drama based activities in the target language
- Learn to think and write creatively, while practising oral communication
- Engage in activities that support Balanced Literacy in FSL
- Be part of a "learning community"
- Learn to apply and understand grammar concepts through error analysis
Examples of some of the grammar, language conventions and vocabulary in this kit:
- Present tense of irregular verbs including vouloir, pouvoir, partir, sortir and devoir with both singular and plural subjects
- Double-verb constructions, le passé
- Aller plus infinitive to form le futur proche
- Agreement of verb with compound subject
- Imperative of some regular -er, -ir and -re verbs
- Demonstrative and possessive adjectives
- Adjectives that precede the noun
- Object pronouns
- Singular and plural, feminine and masculine of some irregular adjectives and agreement in number and gender
- Subject-verb inversions
- The prepositions à and de plus the definite article
- Basic vocabulary (e.g. numbers from 0 to 1000; words associated with the arts, sports, food, hobbies)
- Vocabulary from the unit under study
- Use of related spelling patterns and sounds associated with accents
- Use of resources (e.g. text, personal dictionary)
Supplementary activities for advanced FSL students in this kit:
- Creative writing activities such as “Les gens en action!”, writing a rap “d'entrée en classe”; and book reports.
Each kit (a 50-hour course) in the Jeunesse en action! series contains:
- Whole-Class Activities Book.
- Program guide.
- 'Big Book' of the play - You may also use the e-reader of this same book, projected from the AIM Portal (see below).
- Partner/Group Activities Book (blackline master) containing a vast choice of activities for individual, partner or group tasks.
- Assessment Activities Book.
- Posters of rap and song lyrics.
- Game cards.
- Suggestions for Balanced Literacy activities.
Hard-copy Student Workbooks available here.
Teacher-access to the AIM Portal
(1 x year)
- Songs (with instrumental versions)
- Fun grammar raps (with instrumental versions)
- Music videos of the songs and raps
- The play (in read-along format)
- The play (gestured in video format)
- The play (performed by students in video format)
- Listening exercises / Assessment activities
- Gestured vocabulary (video format)
- and much more...